New Computer - Lenovo ThinkPad T410

Lenovo ThinkPad UltraNav

Introduce my new toy -- a Lenovo ThinkPad T410. I have been a Dell man for the last 10 years -- having a total of 3 Dell laptops (Inspiron 8000, Latitude D600 and Latitude D630). Well now I am having a change and migrated off Malaysian product to Chinese product :) Built quality is probably on par comparing to Dell Latitudes, but a good $500-$1000 cheaper on a similar configured system, thanks to regular Lenovo bargains that are up to 35% off.

Spec of my new toy work horse

• Intel Core i5 580M
  • 4GB memory
  • 320GB SATA HDD with 7200RPM
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS3100M graphics
  • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
  • DVD-RW, 2.0MP webcam, Intel 802.11bgn, and all the works
  • Legendary Lenovo ThinkPad keyboard with UltraNav

Since I am doing so much typing on the keyboard, it makes sense to get a notebook with the best keys. That rules out most cheap notebooks and any with chiclet keyboards, consider I was using this at work before. ThinkPad keyboard rocks, even better than the D630 I had before, which I thought was pretty good already.

And the UltraNav. Wow. Now I remember why I never bothered to use that blue sticky thing on my old Dell Latitude, because it sucks. Lenovo's implementation is so much better (consider they actually popularised it). At the same time I found the trackpad not as responsive as my old Dell, which forces me to use the trackpoint more.

So far so good. This will be my main computer for the next 3 years, and hopefully it lasts.