Have you always been wondering the meanings behind the name of the suburb you live in? Huh? Well. Maybe not, but anyway. During my boring hour of the day, I found these webpages with a list of Sydney suburb names, as well as the meaning behind it.
For example, these are the meanings of some Eastern suburbs.
- derived from Aboriginal word "koojah" meaning "a stinking place" (probably rotting seaweed)
- named after the Royal Borough of Kensington, London
- replaced South Kensington in honour of Sir Charles Kingsford Smith
- from an Aboriginal word meaning "like thunder" describing the pounding surf
- named after the town of Randwick in Gloucestershire, England
Does that give more meaning to your life? :)