You will need both the following files:
- Download: esvpopup.js and esvpopup.html (5.0kb and 1.4kb 2008-04-01), or
- Download: esvpopup-1.4.zip (2.7kb 2008-04-01)
Click on the following references to display Bible verses:
Follow these steps to use this script.
Download both "
esvpopup.js" and "
esvpopup.html" to somewhere inside your web folder. Put both of them inside the same folder.
In the places where you want Bible references, use the following HTML tags:
<a href="#" onclick="ESVPopup.onclick(event);return false;"> [Bible Reference] </a>
<a href="#" onclick="ESVPopup.onclick(event);return false;"> John 3:16-17 </a>
Or if you want to point to Bible verses from an arbitrary text,
<a href="#" onclick="ESVPopup.onclick(event, '[Bible Reference]');return false;"> [Arbitrary Text] </a>
<a href="#" onclick="ESVPopup.onclick(event, 'Matthew 5:3-12');return false;"> Beatitudes </a>
This script has been tested under these browsers:
- Internet Explorer 6 SP1 and 7 on Windows XP SP2
- Firefox 1.5 on Windows/Mac OS X
- Firefox 2 on Windows
- Opera 9 on Windows
- Safari 3.0.x on Windows
Note -- if you are using Opera, please change your user agent to "Opera" for it to work properly.
Feel free to contact me if you have any question regarding to this script.
Consider this script as public domain, there is no license. Use it as much as you like on your website, but do beware of ESV's web service conditions.
- 1.4 - 2008-04-01
- Fix extracting text content from selected element in Firefox 2.
- Fix iframe positioning issue in Safari 3.x
- 1.3 - 2007-06-07
- Fixed long passage scrolling issue in IE7.
- 1.2 - 2006-11-13
- Fixed border issue under Internet Explorer 7
- Generate dynamic URL to avoid caching on IE6/IE7.
- 1.1 - 2005-10-06
- Tested under Opera 8 and Safari 1.2.x.
- Use CSS filter to create shadow under IFrame in Internet Explorer.
- 1.0 - 2005-05-05
- Initial implementation.